Lebanon Township Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.

 

 

 

 

Home
When to Call 911
Station 1
Station 2
Activities
Training & Drills
Junior Firefighters
Pancake Breakfast
Clothing dropoff!
Burn Permit
Stand-By Request
Join Us
Fire Prevention
Smoke Alarms
Carbon Monoxide

 

 


What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

Where is CO found?

CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems.  CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.  People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.  High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death.  Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses.  People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

 

 

How does CO poisoning work?

Red blood cells pick up CO quicker than they pick up oxygen.  If there is a lot of CO in the air, the body may replace oxygen in blood with CO.  This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which can damage tissues and result in death.

How CO enters red blood cell
 

Who is at risk from CO poisoning?

All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning.  Certain groups - unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems - are more susceptible to its effects.  Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. Fatality is highest among Americans 65 and older.

How can I prevent CO poisoning from my home appliances?

bullet

Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

bullet

Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors.  Although these heaters don't have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.

bullet

If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator's cooling unit, have an expert service it.  An odor from the cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit.  It could also be giving off CO.

bullet

When purchasing gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as the American Gas Association or Underwriters' Laboratories.

bullet

Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home, and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

How do I vent my gas appliances properly?

bullet

All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.

bullet

Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.

bullet

Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year.  Chimneys can be blocked by debris.  This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.

bullet

Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else.  This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.

bullet

Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level.  Indoor vent pipes should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or pipes aren't fitted tightly.

Safe Way to Connect Heating Equipment to the Chimney
 

How can I heat my house safely or cook when the power is out?

bullet

Never use a gas range or oven for heating.  Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.

bullet

Never use a charcoal grill or a barbecue grill indoors.  Using a grill indoors will cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper unless you use it inside a vented fireplace.

bullet

Never burn charcoal indoors.  Burning charcoal - red, gray, black, or white - gives off CO.

bullet

Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors.  Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.

bullet

Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window, door, or vent.

How can I avoid CO poisoning from my vehicle?

bullet

Have a mechanic check the exhaust system of your car every year.  A small leak in your car's exhaust system can lead to a build-up of CO inside the car.

bullet

Never run a car or truck in the garage with the garage door shut.  CO can build up quickly while your car or truck is running in a closed garage.  Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house, and always open the door to any garage to let in fresh air when running a car or truck inside the garage.

bullet

If you drive a vehicle with a tailgate, when you open the tailgate, you also need to open vents or windows to make sure air is moving through your car.  If only the tailgate is open, CO from the exhaust will be pulled into the car.


Carbon monoxide detectors should be tested monthly.  However the test buttons on these detectors only test the battery and circuitry, not the sensor. The sensor in the detector is considered to be the most likely component to fail and has a limited lifetime of about five years.  The only way to test the sensor is with an external source of calibrated test gas. Approximately 50% of all carbon monoxide detectors installed in the U.S. are over five years old.  If your carbon monoxide detector is over five years old, we
strongly encourage you to replace it. On combination carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, you will often see a "manufacture date" or a "replace by" date inside the cover on the main board. These dates will give you a good indication of when your detector should be replaced. If you have any doubts about your carbon monoxide detector’s age or reliability, replace it! Your family's safety counts on it.
 

Lebanon Township

Volunteer Fire Dept.

and EMS

Station 19

Hunterdon County, NJ

 

 

 

 

Members:

Bill Border

Shane Burd

Samantha Bush

Tom Carlucci Jr.*

Jim Crampton

Tom Crampton *

Bill Cuttri-French *

Phil Dacey Jr * 

Roger Finley *

Greg Freeborn

Steve Freeborn

Tim Hinson * **

Paul Ibsen

Daniel Infusino

Carsten Jane

Sean Kelly *

John Kneasfsey

Kate Lagarenne *

Alex Lemenze

Dan McTiernan *

Gary Milkowski **

Nathaniel Paterson *

Vanessa Paterson

Jared Patriarca*

Suzanne Patriarca *

Rob Pek

Lou Perry

John Phelan *

Dustin Rapach

Mark Rothfeld *

Edd Schaffer *

Sue Schlesinger **

Bob Stulack

David Sulpy *

Brittany Trawin *

 

 

*EMT

** 1st Responder

 

Updated 1/1/16